Header Ads

Chicken Manchurian


ANNOUNCEMENT – I’m going to be doing a live (and FREE) demo at the Kala Ghoda Festival (Cross Maidan) in Mumbai on Wednesday, 8th February 2017 at 8 pm. Will be making 2 desserts. I hope to see you there!
I’ve always wondered what the Chinese feel about their food being localised around the world. You know, American Chinese dishes like General Tso’s Chicken and Almond Chicken; and Chicken Manchurian and American Chopsuey that are so popular here in India? Well if it wasn’t for people migrating, these dishes would never have been invented. Bringing flavours from the homeland, working with locally available ingredients and preferences… that’s why Indo-Chinese food exists!
That’s as political as I’m going to get about what’s going on in the world right now. Mostly because I must quickly move on to tell you about the crazy cravings that I get for Chinese food every week. And it’s not the fancy kind from Royal China, but the very desi, Indian Chinese kind that I want on my plate. I could skip the fried rice if it’s not around, but a restaurant style Chicken Manchurian, minus all the deep frying and uncontrollable MSG, is what I love to indulge in. So really, my cravings got me to work on this easy recipe for Chicken Manchurian that comes together in one pan. I don’t deep fry the chicken, instead, it is seared so that we get all the amazing juices and flavours from it, and then go on to make the sauce / gravy.
Soy sauce, tomato ketchup, plain white vinegar (no wine vinegars here, please) and loads of ginger and garlic are the cornerstone of Indian Chinese cooking, and this recipe for Chicken Manchurian is no different. What you will find different here, is that there is no added MSG and I’ve relied on the salt from the sauces and stock. But if you feel the need to add salt, do so. This Chicken Manchurian is super easy and quick to make (under 30 minutes), is spicy and will satiate your craving for the restaurant style Chicken Manchurian. There is a bonus, I’ve made a video too! Subscribe, like, share away. We need all the comfort food we can get in a world as uncertain as ours.

No comments